The Crisis Solutions Coalition
Dave Richard, then director of the DHHS Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disability and Substance Abuse Services, convened the first coalition meeting. “By bringing all stakeholders together, we can begin to focus our resources and energy on solutions that already are working in some of our local communities,” he said. “This effort is about finding practical solutions that will allow us to move away from a crisis-based system to one that is truly focused on recovery outcomes.”
Since then, the Coalition gathers every 6 – 8 weeks to focus on developing solutions leading to better crisis care options. Client advocates, along with leaders from healthcare, government, law enforcement and magistrates, schools, healthcare providers, paramedics, emergency departments, community health centers, and others learn about emerging innovative practices from different parts of the state, discuss options, and advise the DHHS team on priorities for implementation. The Coalition focuses on:
- Recommending and establishing community partnerships to strengthen the continuum of care for mental health and substance abuse services.
- Promoting education and awareness of alternative community resources to the use of emergency departments.
- Making recommendations related to data sharing to help identify who, when and where people in crisis are served, and what the results of those services are.
- Creating a repository of evidence-based practices and providing technical assistance to Local Management Entities-Managed Care Organizations (LME/MCOs), law enforcement and providers on how to respond to crisis scenarios.
- Recommending legislative, policy and funding changes to help break down barriers associated with accessing care.
The Crisis Solutions Coalition meetings are public. To receive occasional informational emails and notices of the meetings, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org (Please note: This email box is not monitored on a 24/7 basis and is not for emergency situations. For resources to assist you with a crisis immediately, select your county from the drop-down box on the home page.)
Find presentations and other documents from each meeting on the Coalition Documents page.